Steven grew up in a musical family. His mother was an elementary school music teacher, and he has been playing piano since he was five years old. He sang with the Calgary Boys’ Choir for five years before moving on to a pre-professional training program for trombone at Mount Royal College, and completing his Grade 10 Royal Conservatory of Music exam for piano.
He attended the Theatre Arts program at Grant MacEwan College, and now works primarily as a music director and actor, with credits that span over 75 productions across the country. He has been the recipient of both a Jessie and OVATION! Award, as well as a Sterling Award nomination. He has been an instructor at Studio 58, Capilano University, and his alma mater. He is the composer of The Steadfast Tin Soldier, which toured Alberta for over 225 performances with the Alberta Musical Theatre Company (formerly Alberta Opera).
Outside of music and theatre, Steven is a husband, father and dog owner; and a lover of all things pop culture, especially Batman, Disney, Doctor Who, the Muppets, and Star Wars.
In teaching music, Steven believes that it’s important to have fun, and that fun comes out of working with integrity. Assigned music will be material that develops specific skills, but students will also be asked to bring in their own choices or to suggest songs as well. Working on pieces that the student is passionate about in tandem with technique-building songs provides for a well-balanced practice.
• Please provide a notebook and writing utensil for lesson notes, and remember to always bring assigned music books or sheet music.
• Students must have a piano (acoustic or digital) with weighted keys to practice on at home.
• Students must practice a minimum of three hours per week outside of lessons.
• Please be on time for your lesson. Lessons end at the scheduled time, and if students are more than 15 minutes late for their lesson, it will be forfeited for that week.
• Missed lessons will only be made up at a later date if advance notice of absence (at least 24 hours notice) is given. The maximum number of make up lessons is two for